At the May 19, 2016 meeting of the BabiesNow! Foundation Board of Directors, $22,200 in monetary grants, or 111,000 diapers — the largest amount ever given in one grant period — were made to 11 beneficiary organizations to purchase diapers and wipes. All of the beneficiary organizations use diapers/wipes as an incentive for moms/families in need to participate in programs that benefit the babies. The beneficiaries for this spring grant period are:
- Kempe Foundation for the Prevention and Treatment of Child Abuse and Neglect—SafeCare Colorado;
- Academy of Urban Learning;
- Laradon Hall Society for Exceptional Children and Adults—FIT program;
- Aurora Public Schools—Young Parent Support Program;
- Growing Home;
- Children’s Hospital Colorado—Colorado Adolescent Maternity Program (CAMP);
- Children’s Hospital Colorado—Children’s Hospital Immunodeficiency Program (CHIP);
- Doctors Care;
- Florence Crittenton Services; and
- Boulder County Public Health—GENESIS.
In addition, There With Care received a grant from our Emergency Discretionary Fund to provide diapers and wipes to critically ill children, including pediatric oncology patients.
In support of its grant application, the Children’s Hospital CAMP program shared this story:
Attendance at labor and delivery, newborn, and breastfeeding classes has increased dramatically since they began offering diapers as incentives…. [For example, a teen] patient has a myriad of issues, including asthma. She has received diapers for attending all of the CAMP classes and for attending visits with the therapist. She recently brought in her baby to see one of the Young Mother’s providers for the first newborn check. The provider was very impressed that this young patient was breastfeeding, and knew so much about child care and breast feeding that she provided additional diapers to encourage her to continue this positive and healthy behavior.