In 2015, BabiesNow! Foundation gave $29,000 to beneficiary organizations to purchase diapers and wipes to incentivize families in need to participate in programs that benefit babies. This means that 145,000 diapers will help keep Colorado's babies clean and dry.
This year’s Wear Your Pearls Girls Brunch, held October 29, was a smashing success. We are thrilled to announce that the brunch raised over $17,500 for the work of BabiesNow! Foundation. In addition, we collected 3,552 diapers and 9,336 wipes that were given to the Hope House of Colorado, an organization that provides housing and self-sufficiency programs to parenting teenage moms.
Our speaker was Sonya Ulibarri, President and CEO of Girls, Inc. of Metro Denver, and a member of the Board of Directors of BabiesNow! Foundation. She spoke of the importance of diapers to the moms in need and their babies, highlighting these critical facts:
- 1 in 6 children in Colorado live in poverty
- 1 in 3 children in Denver County live in poverty
- Diapers cost $1-2/day, averaging $45/month
- In 2015, the Federal Poverty Guidelines set the poverty level for a family of for at$23,850 (pre-tax) -- about $1,600 net income per month
- In Denver, the average rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in 2015 is $1,718
- SNAP Benefits (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) supports families in economic hardship. The average family received $272 in 2014, or $1.40 per person/per meal
In this economic framework, Sonya noted: "we know that diapers do not provide a solution to poverty, but they do make a difference."
We believe we are the only nonprofit organization in Colorado collecting diapers and funds for diapers that requires beneficiaries to use the diapers as incentives for families in need to participate in programs that benefit babies. The following beneficiaries received monetary grants in 2015:
- Aurora Public Schools Young Parent Support Program
- Boulder County Public Health GENESIS
- Laradon Hall Society for Exceptional Children and Adults FIT program
- Academy of Urban Learning - Denver Public Schools
- Arapahoe House
- Children’s Hospital Colorado CAMP
- Children’s Hospital Colorado CHIP
- Doctors Care
- Aurora Public Schools Early Beginnings
- Florence Crittenton Services - Baby Bucks program
- Institute for Children’s Mental Disorders
- Children First of the Rockies